Monday, June 27, 2011

Window Sealing - Day 76 and 77 - June 23 and 24, 2011

I really grappled with the best approach to seal between the framing and windows.  Low expansion foam sort of scared me when I read all the stories of window framing bowing.  We experimented with backer rod and caulking, but caulking all the window openings is a significant effort for a solution whose permanence is debatable.

Through online research, I found gap gaskets that are made from a foam originally developed in Sweden and marketed by Resource Conservation Technology of Baltimore, MD.  They are reviewed favorably and seemed to be a good solution.  So the window openings were measured on Monday June 20 and gap gaskets ordered.  The delayed delivery had me biting my fingernails.

On Thursday June 23, I installed all the gap gaskets with the help of my father in law.  Installation became more efficient as we worked through the house.  The only drawback was most of the drywall sheathing had been staged in the house earlier in the day and it was a challenge to work around.

We called it a night around 11 PM just ahead of an approaching thunderstorm.  With the drywallers coming on Friday and the family weekend trip to the Homestead, I had to get up at 6:00 AM to get to 100 Yorktown to wrap up the windows in the keeping room, kitchen, and laundry room.  I was able to finish these and even caulk the bottom of each window in the house in a couple of hours.

With the drywallers moving in for better or worse,  my extra weatherization efforts are pretty much over at 100 Yorktown.

No comments:

Post a Comment